Showstopping recipes to sweeten the season.
- 2 750mL bottles dry red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- ½ gallon fresh apple cider
- 2 oranges, juiced and peeled
- 8 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 tsp. whole allspice berries
- 1 pint whiskey (optional)
1. Zest the oranges in wide strips using a vegetable peeler, being careful to stay away from the bitter, white pith. Juice the oranges. Reserve the peels and juice.
2. Combine all ingredients including the orange peels and juice in a crock pot (2½ quarts or larger) or stovetop stockpot (6 quarts or larger). Cover.
3. If using a crock pot, turn heat to low and cook until heated through, about 4 hours. If using the stovetop stockpot, turn heat to medium-low and cook until heated through, about 20 minutes. Do not boil. Turn heat to low and let steep for at least 20 minutes.
4. After being heated through, the mulled cider-wine can be served immediately or left on low heat until time to serve. Before serving, remove the allspice berries and whole cloves from the pot using a slotted spoon. Discard.
5. To serve, ladle the warm, mulled cider-wine into mugs. You could garnish each mug with a piece of orange peel and cinnamon stick from the pot.
Related Stories & Recipes
This cake’s color hinges on the anthocyanins found in red wine and raw cocoa, as even organic brands of “natural” cocoa powder lose their colorful potential in the roasting process. They create a s...