When I joined the features staff at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1983, Thelma’s Kitchen on Techwood Avenue was a favored lunchtime destination for cops, AJC reporters, and staff fro...
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup to 1 cup half-and-half
- Chopped chives, for garnish
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Photo by Mary Britton Senseney. From The Beach House Cookbook by Mary Kay Andrews (St. Martin's Press, 2017).
Related Stories & Recipes
This quiche came from one of my oldest, dearest friends in the world, Sue Boore Foster. Sue’s father, Frank Boore, was the longtime owner of two beloved St. Petersburg restaurants, Aunt Hattie’s an...